2017 Futures Conference Schedule
The 2017 Futures Conference, “Running with the Machines: Artificial Intelligence in Law Practice,” will take place October 26-27 at Georgia State University Law School in Atlanta. Our host hotel, and the site of this year’s annual New Fellows Induction Ceremony and black-tie dinner, will be the Ritz-Carlton–Atlanta. Click here to register (early bird rates expire September 30).
|PRELIMINARY 2017 AGENDA*|
|THURSDAY, OCTOBER 26|
|11:00||New Fellows Orientation (Class of 2017 Inductees, hosted by Bill Migneron, Chair, Board of Trustees)|
|Noon||Welcome, Lunch and Legal Services Corp. Presentation
▪ Linda Klein, Shareholder, Baker Donelson; President, American Bar Association (2016-2017)
▪ Co-Chairs Sharon Nelson, President, Sensei Enterprises, Inc. and Mark Tamminga, Partner, Leader of Innovation Initiatives, Gowling WLG
|2:00||Hype vs. Reality: Is Everything AI now?
▪ Michael Mills, Co-Founder & Chief Strategy Officer, Neota Logic Inc.
▪ Chris Boyd, Leader, Attorney Recruitment, KM and Professional Devevelopment, Wilson Sonsini
▪ Andy Daws, Chief Customer Officer, Kim Technologies
|3:30||Speed Networking with an AI Twist|
|8:00||Hospitality Suite (sponsored by Rob Mattern & Assoc.)|
|FRIDAY, OCTOBER 27|
|7:45||The Bright and Dark of AI: Open Mic session
▪ Featured Guest via Skype: Joanna Goodman, author, "Robots in Law: How Artificial Intelligence is Transforming Legal Services"
▪ Moderators: Co-Chairs Sharon Nelson and Mark Tamminga
|9:15||Meet the Machines You'll Be Running With
● Kira Systems: Contract Search, Review and Analysis presented by Rick Kathuria, Director LPM and Legal Logistics, Gowling WLG
▪ Neota Logic: Automating Expertise presented by Marc Lauritsen, President, Capstone Systems
▪ Catalyst: Insight Predict presented by John Tredennick, CEO, Catalyst Repository Systems
▪ Lex Machina: Litigation Analytics and Data Driven Decisions presented by Kyle Doviken, Attorney and Legal Technologist, Lex Machina
|11:00||Robots Gone Wild: Mind-bending Videos and the Extraordinary Implications of Intelligent Machines (Open Mic)
▪ Ron Friedman, Partner, Fireman & Company
▪ Sharon Nelson, President, Sensei Enterprises, Inc.
▪Demo: Jill Watson the Teaching Assistant, presented by Ashok Goel, Professor, Computer Science and Cognitive Science, Georgia Institute of Technology
|Noon||InnovAction Awards Luncheon|
|1:20||Two Sides of the Coin — Two Quick Talks
Side 1: AI Revs Up Law Firm Marketing and Business Development
▪ Mark Greene, Business Strategy and Marketing Consultant
▪ Elonide Semmes, Branding, Strategic Marketing & Design, Right Hat
Side 2: AI and Legal Ops: Pay Attention Law Firms!
▪ Liam Brown, Founder, Elevate Services
|2:30||The Perilous Ethical Waters of AI
▪ John Simek, VP, Sensei Enterprises Inc.
▪ Ed Walters, CEO, Fastcase
▪ Wendy Wen Yun Chang, Partner, Hinshaw & Culbertson
▪ Moderator: John Mitchell, Managing Director, KM Advisors LLC
|3:45||Open Mic: Closing Thoughts and Conference Wrap-up|
|6:00||New Fellows Induction Reception|
|7:00||New Fellows Induction Ceremony and Black-Tie Dinner|
|9:00||New Fellows Induction Dessert Buffet|
For more information on the conference including registration rates and policies, click here.